CATAWBA COLLEGE: A Strength of Tradition
The vitality of Catawba College lies in its tradition of strong academic programs; sensitive, concerned but demanding faculty; diverse students who share a seriousness of purpose; successful, loyal graduates and informed, committed trustees.
BUILDING THE TRADITION: History of Catawba College
Catawba's tradition extends back to its establishment in 1851 in the town of Newton, a center of commerce in the foothills of western North Carolina. This region had been settled by hardy German pioneers who had traveled in the 1740s from eastern Pennsylvania to settle in the valleys of the Haw, Yadkin, and Catawba rivers. Bringing with them a strong cultural and religious heritage, these pious settlers established the North Carolina Classis of the Reformed Church in 1831 and shortly thereafter in 1834 established an Education Society to send young men to certain northern schools of the Reformed Church so that they might be educated and return to serve in the ministry.
This tradition of placing a high value on education made itself felt again in the meeting of the Classis at St. Matthew's Arbor in 1848 where it was suggested that the Education Society "found a college of our own in our own midst." Bearing the name of the Indian tribe which had already lent its name to the county and the river flowing nearby, Catawba College opened in 1851 with a gift of ten acres of land and a capital investment of $15,000. The years that followed were filled with a fair level of prosperity for the growing institution, reflecting the economic climate of the area. The Civil War, however, brought drastic changes, reducing the availability of funds and students. During the war years, the College became an academy, operating as Catawba High School from 1865 to 1885. In the latter year, it resumed operations under its original charter
In 1890, Catawba became a coeducational institution, with the first woman graduate completing her studies in 1893. Even with the addition of women to the student body, the College struggled to overcome the ravages and depletion brought on by the war. Responding to the offer of a partially constructed dormitory-administration building and several acres of land in Salisbury, trustee, college, and church officials closed the campus in Newton in 1923 and re-opened in Salisbury in 1925. In 1957, the Evangelical and Reformed Church, Catawba's parent body, merged with the Congregational Christian Churches to form the United Church of Christ, with which the College maintains affiliation. There are, however, no sectarian restrictions at the College; instead, the institution seeks to maintain an atmosphere congenial to all students in search of truth. Many different religious denominations are represented among the student body with Baptist, Methodist, Roman Catholic, Lutheran, Presbyterian, the United Church of Christ, and the Episcopal churches having the largest number of students enrolled.
Catawba seeks to serve the Salisbury-Rowan County community through its programs and services. The Robertson College-Community Center, a facility built as a joint venture with the community over 37 years ago, houses the Shuford School of Performing Arts and showcases musical and theatre productions from the college and the community. Similarly, the college's athletic facilities have been enhanced by the local community and are available to local residents as well as students. Students thus have an opportunity to be an active part of a larger community while they are enrolled at Catawba and find within that community opportunities for interaction, service, and personal development.
Since Catawba opened its doors in the Salisbury community in 1925, it has built a tradition of successful graduates who continue to honor the College by their achievements and enable it through their support to strengthen that tradition with each entering class. These graduates include physicians, attorneys, teachers and college professors, corporate executives, actors and musicians, social workers, and others who contribute to our society in a variety of ways.
CATAWBA COLLEGE TODAY
Catawba College now has 41 buildings on 276 wooded acres. It is known for its 189-acre on-campus ecological preserve and its 300-acre wildlife refuge. The physical plant is valued in excess of $40 million. Nearly 1,300 students representing over 30 U.S. states and 14 foreign countries attend Catawba. The student body is evenly divided among men and women.
Like the student body, the Catawba faculty is cosmopolitan in nature. It embodies a significant range of opinion and philosophy, founded in studies at many of our nation's leading colleges and universities. Of the 72 full-time teaching faculty employed at Catawba, 89 percent hold the doctorate or terminal degree in their discipline (Ph.D. or M.F.A.).
Catawba seeks to employ faculty members who not only are excellent teachers, but who also have the capacity to guide and challenge students through their interaction with them in clubs, scholastic organizations, and athletic and social activities. Faculty are genuinely committed to the mission of the College which expresses concern for the total development of the student. The ideal faculty-student ratio means that a faculty member is always available to aid and counsel a student and to offer support in the sometimes difficult developmental process. Former students often attribute their success to the fact that faculty members cared about them as persons, not just for their academic performance. Catawba College is governed by a Board of Trustees of almost 48 men and women representing a broad spectrum of leadership from various constituency groups within the College community — businesses and professions, the alumni association, and the United Church of Christ.