Students gain an abundance of hands-on experience working with persons of various disabilities (child, adolescence, adults) in the required and elective courses in the curriculum. These experiences take place at schools, camps, hospitals, special population settings equine therapy facilities, nursing homes, assisted living facilities, psychiatric hospitals, schools for the deaf, recreation and park facilities, senior centers, and correctional institutions.
Internships and Practica
The therapeutic recreation practicum requirement affords students the opportunity to gain practical experience and observation in a variety of careers in the medical profession and allied health services, including Therapeutic Recreation, Ocupational Therapy, Equine Therapy, Physical Therapy, Kinesiotherapy, Pet Therapy, Social Work and Activity Directing.
A unique aspect of the therapeutic recreation major is the opportunity to be placed in practicum and internship locations within 40-50 miles of Catawba College or even in the student's hometown over the summer, provided a suitable facility is located near them.
Some local placements include:
- Victory Junction Camp
- Wake Forest Medical Center
- Rowan County Special Populations
- Genesis Eldercare
- Camp Dogwood for the Blind
- Easter Seal Camps
- Winston-Salem Recreation and Parks
- Lutheran Home
- Rowan Regional Medical Center Physical Rehabilitation Clinic
- Carillon Assisted Living
- Rowan-Salisbury Schools
- Veterans Administration Medical Center
- Charlotte Parks and Recreation
- Saving Grace Farm
- Horse Feathers Therapeutic Learning Center
Other summer locations include:
- Catawba Valley Medical Center, Newton, NC
- Wellsville Manor Care Center, Wellsville, NY
- Kopper Top Therapeutic Riding Center, Gibsonville, NC
- Patton State Hospital, Patton, CA
- Huntersville Oaks, Huntersville, NC
- Broughton Hospital, Morganton, NC
- Roger C. Peace Hospital and Shriner's Hospital, Easley, SC
A number of volunteer opportunities are offered in Therapeutic Recreation.