special holiday tips
Here are some Holiday Tips on how to eliminate waste over the Holiday season! Last holiday season, our nation's trash from gift wrap and shopping bags totaled over 4,000,000 tons.
- Don't rip gift wrap and bows when opening presents — save for the future.
- Reuse your shipping bags when possible.
- Save gift boxes and gift bags to use again. Adorn packages with holly, leaves and other natural items.
- Cut the covers off greeting cards to use as gift tags. You can also turn card cover into postcards.
- Wrap gifts in colorful scraps of fabric, Sunday comics or magazines.
- When buying wrapping paper, consider paper made from recycled content.
- Recycle your gift wrap and boxes in your curbside bin or take them to the nearest recycling center.
Each year, 50,000,000 Christmas trees are purchased in the U.S. Of those, about 30,000,000 go into landfills.
tips to save money and energy
The Office of Waste Reduction and Recycling would like to remind everyone of ways to save!
- WHEN THE HEAT AND OR AIR CONDITIONING IS ON KEEP THE WINDOWS CLOSED IN OFFICES, CLASSROOMS, AND OR DORM ROOMS
- USE POWER STRIPS TO TURN OFF EQUIPMENT WHEN NOT IN USE!
- BUY ENERGY STAR ELECTRONIC PRODUCTS!
- TURN OFF LIGHTS WHEN LEAVING YOUR OFFICE OR CONFERENCE ROOM
- REUSE ENVELOPES FOR INTER-OFFICE OR CAMPUS MAIL!
- MAKE IT DOUBLE SIDED. PRINT/COPY ON BOTH SIDES OF THE PAPER!
- PROMPTLY REPORT AND OR REPAIR ANY WATER LEAKS!
- WHEN YOU'RE CAREFUL ABOUT USING WATER, YOU'RE NOT JUST SAVING A VALUABLE NATURAL RESOURCE. YOU'RE ALSO SAVING ENERGY NEEDED TO TREAT, PUMP, AND HEAT THAT WATER.
- KEEP YOUR THERMOSTATS SET BETWEEN 68 AND 72 DEGREES
- REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE!