The following policy governs decisions relevant to inclement weather:
In the event of inclement weather, the President of the College will determine whether or not the College will be closed or delayed. If the inclement weather comes in during the day, a decision about evening classes (School of Graduate and Evening Studies) will be made by 1:00pm on the day in question.
- The College will be closed to all non-critical employees and all classes will be cancelled if extremely hazardous conditions prevail throughout the region. This information will be communicated to members of the campus community through the CatawbAlerts notification system and the same information will be available on the college website at http://e2.catawba.edu. A secondary method of notification will be the regional media outlets listed on the Catawba College website and found listed in this policy.
- The President of the College will also determine if the College will operate on a delayed schedule and this information will be communicated through the CatawbAlerts notification system and through the college website at http://e2.catawba.edu, and secondarily on the regional media outlets listed on the Catawba College website and found listed in this policy.
- If no announcement is made through the CatawbAlerts system and/or the media outlets, then the College is open and operating on a regular schedule.
- If you have questions about whether to report to work or not, you may call (704) 637-4000 (Office of Public Safety) to verify the status of the College.
- During periods of inclement weather, all employees should exercise caution and common sense in determining their ability to travel to the College on those days when the College is open. Given the diversity of our College staff, there is a wide variation in where individuals live as well as in the need for them being at work at any particular time. Staff members and the College share, however, an interest and a concern for both getting the work done and protecting the well being of those performing the work. In this spirit, it is anticipated that staff members will make every effort consistent with their own safety to be at work, especially those in critical positions and responsible for the provision of essential services (Office of Public Safety, Dining Services, Maintenance, Housekeeping, Office of Student Affairs, and others).
- Staff who are unable to travel to the campus due to inclement weather will not be penalized by having to make up the lost time or using a benefit day.
- The Chief Communications Officer and/or his/her staff will notify local and regional radio and television stations regarding the College operations. The media outlets are listed below as well as on the Catawba College website.
Media Outlets to be Used by Catawba in Case of Inclement Weather
In the event of inclement weather, the following media outlets will be used as a secondary way to notify faculty, staff, and students of cancellations or delays and they will broadcast pertinent information concerning Catawba College's schedule.
- WXII-Winston Salem
- WCCB – Charlotte
- WGHP-Greensboro/High Point
- Time Warner Cable News 14-Charlotte
- WSAT-AM (1280)-Salisbury
- WSTP-AM (1490)-Salisbury
- WFAE-FM (90.7)-Charlotte
- WBT-AM (110)-Charlotte
- WDAV-FM (89.9)-Davidson
- WFDD-FM (88.5)-Winston-Salem
The following pay policy will be followed when the College is "CLOSED” due to inclement weather.
Effective February 1, 2011, the following policy will be followed regarding the pay of employees when the College is "CLOSED” due to inclement weather.
Hourly paid employees who are not able to get to the campus will be paid their regular hourly rate for the day but the hours paid will not be counted towards hours worked for the week.
Hourly paid employees who do report for work will be paid for the hours worked on the day in question and will be allowed to either take the equivalent hours off with pay at a later date or just receive the extra pay for the day in lieu of taking the day off at some future date. The future day off with pay will be coordinated with the immediate supervisor. As above, the day off with pay or the day’s pay in lieu of a day off, will not be counted towards hour worked during the applicable week.
If the College opening is delayed, hourly employees will be paid for a normal 8-hour work day plus any additional time that they work prior to the delayed opening time.
Salaried staff do not have to report to work when the College is "CLOSED”. They will not have to use a benefit day (vacation, sick or personal) to cover the absence. The day is a "Free Day” for all salaried employees.
Salaried exempt employees who report to work when the College is closed or delayed will be eligible for additional time off later equal to the hours worked on the inclement weather day.
Regular pay policies will be followed when the College delays opening due to inclement weather.