Activities & Accomplishments by Theatre Arts Students
We are proud that our students present the most appropriate and professional decorum, the most articulate responses to content, and the most piercing questions of clarification above their peers. They frequently represent Catawba with great style, articulation, and spirit. Below are examples of recent student activities and accomplishments we would like to recognize:
Metrolina Theatre Awards
Past and present members of Catawba Theatre - students, alumni and faculty - have consistently been nominated for and/or won Metrolina Awards over the years. Nominations include acting, directing, production, costume design, choreography, and more.
SETC (Southeastern Theatre Conference) in Atlanta, GA
- Michael Lasris, Daniel Hines, Sam Brooks, Jared Wietbrock, Andy McCain, Sheldon Rogers, Mike Matthias, Johnathon Menius, Kaitlyn Gemmel, Jessica Taige, Brianne Davis, Jessica Moretti, Giuseppe Ritorto, McKenna Dabbs, Candace Neal, Beth Simpson, Tiffany Cox, Jordan Richards, Jes Dugger, Guerin Piercy, Justin Lewis, Justin Johnson, Liz Ballard, Nicole Bowles, Robbie Farlow, Sarah Koerner, Sean Williams, Sonny Kong, and others each received between 3-22 callbacks (interviews and offers).
- Jessica Moretti: MFA in Design at NCSA in Winston-Salem
- McKenna Dabbs: directing Internship @ B Street, Arkansas Rep, Walnut in Philly, others.
- Candace Neal: Lake Dillon Theatre in Colorado (- Velma Kelly in Chicago- Phantom in Rocky Horror Picture Show- Dina- School House Rock Live- Broadway Revue
- Jesse Hunter: Tecumseh Summer Theater
- Nicole Bowles: Post Playhouse
- Sam Brooks: accepted a job offer to work for the Lake Dillon Performing Arts Foundation in Dillon Colorado as a Costumes/ Hair & Make Up Designer--also received offers from the following companies for the following positions: Arundel Barn Playhouse-Costume Designer, Peach State-Dresser/Stitcher/ Wardrobe Supervisor, Sante Fe Opera-Stitcher/Dresser, Lost Colony-Stitcher/Dresser, Busch Gardens- Dresser, Hershey Park- Wardrobe Supervisor, Stages St. Louis- 1st Hand, CPCC-Stitcher
- Andy McCain: Colorado professional theatre
- Daniel Hines: **Mill Mountain Theater in Roanoake, VA has offered him Ben Rogers & Young Fool in Big River. **Wolfahrthaus Dinner Theatre has offered me a paid apprenticeship to do The Music Man and The Wizard of Oz.**RWS & Associates have not made a final offer, but have suggested that I not take anything else until the end of the week ... whatever that means.**University of Findlay Summer Stock (in Ohio) has not finalized an offer, but has suggested I hold my breath for "Cinderella's Prince" in Into the Woods, "Snoopy" in You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown, and some young guy in Cheaper by the Dozen.**Glacier Cabaret (in East Glacier Montana) has offered me the same job I had last year plus I would head up their Children's program.
- Liz Ballard: considering - Georgia Shakes (three month contract), Missoula Children's Theatre (1 year contract), Bellaluna Theatre (three month contract), Theatre IV (3 to 6 month contract), and Flat Rock Playhouse (three month contract).
- Tiffany Cox: Intern, The Pacific Conservatory of The Performing Arts in Santa Maria, CA.
- Jes Dugger: Missoula Children's Theatre, Inc., actor and director
- Jake Krickhan: Working actor in NYC.
- Sonny Kong: Shenandoah Summer Music Theatre, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia.
- Justin Lewis: Stephen Foster Productions in Bardstown, KY
- Jared Wietbrock: 12-month contract with the Missoula Children's Theatre
- Sarah Koerner: The Lost Colony cast
- Jordan Richards: Playing Jud this summer in Oklahoma at Discoveryland in Tulsa, OK as well as either understudying Adam in 7 Brides or playing Benjamin. I've also accepted a contract with the Dutch Apple Theatre in Lancaster, PA. I'll be understudying Cliff in Cabaret thisSeptember and Octoberand understudying Bob Wallace in White Christmas this November and December. Come January, I will either stay with the Dutch Apple Theatre for Guys and Dolls or do an internship on Broadway with my cousin, David Richards, who is a General Manager. Next spring I will be understudying Cliff again in Cabaret at the Broadway Palm Theatre in Fort Meyers, FL. I plan for a potential summer 2008 move to NYC.
United States Institute for Theatrical Technology, Las Vegas, NV
We had 5 students recently attend USITT (United States Institute for Theatrical Technology) in Las Vegas Nevada:
- William Randall, Sean Williams, and Jonathan Jordan attended and worked as student volunteers.
- Joey Yow and Kaitlyn Gemmel attended and went through portfolio reviews and Graduate school interviews. Joey is looking at an internship with Cirque du Soleil and at Ohio State University or University of Oklahoma for grad school. Joey will also be working in Pittsburg as a lighting designer during the summer.
- Kaitlyn Gemmel has a job for the summer and an internship as an assistant lighting designer at Theatre on the Square in Memphis.
- Will Randall will be returning to Lost Colony as the Master Electrician.
- Jonathan Menius: Costume Internship @ Hanger Theater (summer only) Costumes Internship @ B Street in Sacramento (beginning in the fall)
- Sean Williams will be working for the as a union (IATSI), professional technician in Charlotte during the summer.
Kennedy Center's American COLLEGE Theatre Festival
American College Dance Festival
The following attended the regional ACDF (the American College Dance Festival) at Radford University in VA:
- Meredith Fox
- Betsy Foster
- Michael Lasris
- Danielle Papet
- Ashleigh Herndon
- Jared Witebrock
- Sam Brooks
- Minnie Scronce
- Brianna Smith
- Eleanor Withrow
- Jessica Taige
We had 2 pieces (one choreographed by Meredith Fox, one by Betsy Foster) performed in a formal, adjudicated concert and one choreographed by Michael Lasris and performed in the "informal" concert. All danced in at least 2 pieces and also attended master classes in a variety of styles, including some dance styles from Africa and Asia. The adjudicators offered positive response to both dances and praised our students for their creation of character and cohesiveness as a group of performers.
MidWest Theater Auditions
- Lisa Ponce: role in Tecumseh! in Chillicothe, OH
- Michael Strickland: job with Tecumseh Summer Theater
Women's Studies Conference, Middle Tennessee State
Dr. Janice Fuller (English) and Dr. Elizabeth Homan (Theatre Arts) took two theatre arts students (senior Amy Guenther and junior Jordan Danz) to and Interdisciplinary Conference in Women's Studies at Middle Tennessee State University (February 22-24, 2007). Fuller, Homan and the students presented a panel discussion entitled, "Performing Gender on Stage: Developing a Play about Women and Machines," in which they discussed the recent production of Fuller's original script Machine Play at Catawba College & the collaborative process that created it. Danz and Guenther then performed two short scenes from the play and followed with a discussion of how their work on the project both contributed to their process as young performers and helped to shape their understanding of gender roles in contemporary culture.
- Nik Kear: UT- Nashville Law School this August '07
- Ashliegh Herndon: The Lost Colony for summer '07
- Jessica Taige: Bigfork Summer Playhouse (Bigfork, MT) (lead in Beauty and the Beast and roles in 3 other shows)
- Danielle Papet: Jenny Wiley Theatre
- Emily Wonderly: Long Lake Camp for the Arts, Long Lake, NY (in Adirondack Park)
- Blair Elder: Colonial Williamsburg (3rd year) in the Costume Design Center as a Wardrobe Assistant.
- Lauren Connolly: South Park Theatre this summer in Pittsburgh, Pa., will be their Production Manager for the season (April-October), as well as the stage manager for three of their shows.
- Beth Simpson: Accademia dell'Arte, Arezzo, Italy (post-graduate program)