campus wide alert

College News

With An Associate's Degree (A.A. or A.S.), Transfer Students Meet All Gen Ed Requirements

May 14, 2009

Category: Academics, Evening & Graduate

StudentsAre you worried about losing credits if you transfer to Catawba College? Don't be.

If you have an associate's degree (A.A. or A.S.) from an accredited community college, all of your general education requirements at Catawba will be met.

"We're trying to remove stumbling blocks for our students and we realize that when they transfer here, they'll simply be adding to the successes they've already achieved at a community college," explained Lois Williams, Catawba's vice president for enrollment. "We have a wonderful relationship with our area community colleges. Many of our students who have earned their associate degrees there have transferred to Catawba and are now counted among our best and brightest."

Catawba's policy shift in the acceptance of community college credits is indicative of the times, Williams said. "In today's economic climate, some families are looking to the community college as an affordable way for their students to begin their college careers. Most transfer to a four-year institution to work on their academic major after earning an associate degree."

Catawba College Provost Dr. Rick Stephens agrees. "While our institution's transfer policy is still evolving, we see this as an immediate way to attract well-qualified and motivated students to Catawba."

Shannon McLainOne incoming transfer student to Catawba is 22-year-old Shannon McLain of Charlotte, N.C., who earned her associate of arts degree from Central Piedmont Community College in December of 2008. When she chose Catawba as her next step, it was important to her that she not lose credits or have to retake courses that she had already taken.

"Going to the community college is great for a lot of students who are undecided about what they want to do with their lives. It can also save you a lot of time and money," Shannon explained. "It's sort of like a two-step plan — you go to community college and then you go on.

"I knew that if I went to community college, I could get all of the gen ed requirements done there and earn an associate's degree. Now, I want to go to a place to focus on my education major. I could have gone to another college or university, but I feel Catawba will suit my learning needs. I will be living on campus, close to home, but not too close to home."

Catawba's transfer policy reads: "All general education courses will be waived upon receipt of a final college transcript from a regionally accredited community college indicating a student has been awarded an A.A. or A.S. degree. Grades of "D" will not transfer."

For more information, visit Catawba's Transfer Student website.