Students who have declared Information Systems as a concentration in the School of Evening and Graduate Studies Program are required to have a laptop computer by the time they take their first programming class (IS 2505E, Application Program Development using Microsoft Visual Studio 2005). This class will be offered during Block 3 of Spring 2008. We recommend that you consider purchasing your laptop prior to the first class.
The laptop computers are primarily utilized in the following classes (Spring 2008 only):
- IS 2505E - Application Program Development (VB .NET)
- ACC 2801E* - Accounting Information Systems and Controls (Quickbooks)
- IS 2528E* – Advanced Application Program Development (VB .NET)
- IS 3502E – Information Systems Planning (CASE tool, Project Management)
- IS 3510E – Database Development (Access, SQL)
- IS 2550E* – Object Oriented Programming (Java)
- IS 3512E* – Networking and Telecommunications
- IS 3514E – Electronic Commerce (ASP, SQL, Front Page, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, etc.)
Additionally, the laptops will be required for Special Topics classes which will be offered primarily during the summer as elective courses.
* (optional course - no longer required after Spring 2008)
Minimum Specifications: The IS concentration student can use the following minimum specifications as a guide in selecting a laptop computer (updated for Spring 2008):
- Processor: 2 gigahertz processor
- Memory: 2 gigabytes RAM recommended
- Operating System: Windows XP Pro (required) <or>
- for tablet PC’s, Windows Tablet PC 2005 <or>
- Windows XP Media Center Edition <or>
- Windows Vista Business
- Hard Drive: 80 GB or larger
- USB ports: two
- Screen: user choice
- Network and Wireless Card
- DVD drive
- Microsoft Office – latest version
- All Microsoft Development software will be provided from the MSDN Academic Alliance for Catawba College. There may be a small charge for distribution. This includes Visual Studio 2005 Team Suite Edition and Expressions Studio.
- Other software as required by specific courses.
Purchasing Alternatives: Specialized Computer Support in Salisbury, NC is an authorized Gateway reseller. They will be happy to work with IS students in the Evening and Graduate Studies Program to provide a Gateway laptop meeting the minimum specifications to students.
The necessary software can be purchased through the Catawba College Bookstore. Remember, these are minimum specifications — you can work with Specialized Computer Support to tailor a system to your needs. They can be contacted at 814A W. Innes St., (704) 633-2852, http://www.scs-service.com.
Additionally, students may want to price laptops meeting the minimum specifications in the IBM and other lines.
Please contact Pam Thompson at (704) 637-4323 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
Financial Aid: Financial Aid can provide up to $3000 of aid for IS concentration students for laptop computers. Contact Financial Aid at (704) 637-4416.