Phi Beta Lambda (PBL)
Imagine building a portfolio of documented accomplishment as a complement to your academic experience. During a job interview, you can demonstrate how you served in a leadership position for the largest collegiate business student organization in the world. At the same time, you will have entered one or more professional competitive events where you have finished as the very best in the nation.
PBL isn't just another student group — it gives members that opportunity to learn, travel, and grow as a business professional. Employers are looking for students with cutting-edge skills. PBL gives members the chance to gain these skills and prepares them for the "real-world" after college. Set yourself apart from the average graduate! In today's highly competitive business environment it takes more than just a degree to succeed. It requires business savvy, leadership skills, and technical knowledge. By taking advantage of the many programs that Phi Beta Lambda offers, students acquire the skills that will set them apart from the average graduate. They will be better prepared for careers, graduate school and for life!
If you are interested in developing leadership, communication, and team skills, or simply looking for an organization to meet and network with others at the local, state, or national levels; PBL is the organization for you.
What is PBL?
Phi Beta Lambda (Catawba College chapter) is a part of the largest student business organization in the country with over 250,000 members nationwide! All majors are invited and can benefit from membership. Please check out the top ten reasons to join below; dues are $30 and this includes our t-shirt. You can join in two ways:
- Online (PBL Clothing Closet)
- See Mrs. Angelia Bates in the Ketner School of Business Office (top of steps, 3rd floor Ketner Hall). Dues can be paid with a check payable to PBL Ketner School of Business, or by cash.
Here are the top ten reasons to join:
- Membership in Catawba PBL prepares students for “real world” professional experiences.
- You don't have to be a business major to join - all majors can benefit!
- Networking! It’s not who you know, it’s who knows you! Through PBL, you will make connections on campus and to the business world that will last a lifetime!
- Conferences - there are 3 every year: Fall Leadership Conference, Spring State Conference and Summer Nationals.
- Leadership - you will learn more about your leadership potential and have a change to practice being a leader on projects, community service, and even as an elected officer.
- Travel - PBL travels to conferences and our chapter has been to Anaheim, San Antonio, Chicago, Baltimore, and Atlanta. Our National conference this year is back in Anaheim, California (Summer 2021)!
- Competitions: A big part of PBL is competitions. Develop skills in areas such as public speaking, marketing, job interview, environmental issues, accounting, information systems and entrepreneurship. Then test your skills against others in PBL to win first place at the state or even national level at our conferences!
- Making Friends: Make friends on campus and at other schools that have chapters including UNC Chapel Hill, Pfeiffer, Wake Forest, Appalachian, Gardner Webb, Livingstone, ECU, Rowan Cabarrus and more!
- Community Service: We give back to our campus and local community by participating in several community service activities each year.
- PBL will be fun, you will make friends, and grow in your professional and leadership skills! Plus membership looks great on a resume . . .
Officers & Meetings:
- Jade Brooks: President (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Sheya Flores: Vice-President (email@example.com)
- Jacob Aiton: Secretary (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Ryan Frick: Treasurer (email@example.com)
- Madison Bumgarner (firstname.lastname@example.org), Emma Tharrington (email@example.com), Corey Polk (firstname.lastname@example.org): Directors of Marketing and Engagement (Social Media)
- Emma Nantz (email@example.com): Historian
- Paula Sellers (firstname.lastname@example.org): Parliamentarian
- Advisors: Mrs. Angelia Bates (email@example.com) and Dr. Pamela Thompson (firstname.lastname@example.org)
The club meets on the 2nd and 4th Tuesdays of each month in Ketner 201.
Catawba PBL Clothing Closet
You can now pay for your clothing closet items online:
Apply to Join Us!
Interested students can contact Dr. Pamela Thompson (email@example.com) for more information.
Like Us on Facebook
News & Updates
- Catawba College Phi Beta Lambda Chapter Wins State Awards
- PBL Receives Business Honors at State Conference
- Catawba Business Students and Advisor Attend State Leadership Conference
- BLOG: Business and Books: Conscious Capitalism
- Phi Beta Lambda Members Tour Uptown Charlotte
- Catawba Business Honor Society Students Tour Uptown Charlotte