Skip to main content

Sign into the Catawba College community portal:

Login to CatLink

Future Students

Apply online or check the status of your Admissions application:

Admission Portal

REMAIN AT CATAWBA  |  Take the Pledge  |  Ask a Question


About the Teacher Education Department at catawba college

student-teaching.pngThe goal of Catawba's Teacher Education Department is to prepare reflective teachers who possess the professional knowledge, skills, and dispositions necessary for effectively  teaching students in a diverse and global society.

Catawba's Teacher Education programs are approved by the North Carolina State Board of Education and the Department of Public Instruction for licensure of our graduates. 

Catawba's Teacher Education program  has a rich tradition of turning out  excellent teachers dating back to 1925. From 2004-2014, graduates of the program  have enjoyed a 100 percent pass rate on Praxis II and have had great success in  landing teaching jobs immediately after graduation.

Education Pathways

The Department of Teacher Education at Catawba College offers several pathways that allow students greater flexibility in completing education majors and minors while providing different options for future careers as educators.

In the traditional pathway (“licensure route”) students are admitted into a nationally accredited program, complete student teaching, and earn a recommendation for full licensure. This traditional pathway requires students to complete a series of standardized assessments in order to obtain licensure. Historically, our program completers have historically been in high demand (100% job placement, often with multiple offers), have entered the teaching profession with all requirements completed for an initial teaching license, and have qualified for licensure in other states.


The non-licensure pathway is for students who want to:

  1. Work in public or private schools that do not require teachers to have a teaching license, but who still want a solid preparation in developing the skills to teach;
  2. Get a “head start” on alternative routes to licensure (such as the NC Residency License); or
  3. Develop knowledge and skills useful in industry (working as Educational trainers) or college/university teaching.

While there is a minimum GPA requirement of 2.50 (and work in the public schools often requires a criminal background check), students in the non-licensure pathway are not required to pass the standardized assessments required of students in the traditional, licensure pathway. The non-licensure pathway allows students to continue in education coursework and earn an education degree or minor without seeking licensure.

Both the licensure and non-licensure pathways are academically rigorous, and the “FLEX Pathway” model allows students to transition between pathways as plans change.

The Educational Studies Minor allows students in any major to obtain EDUC coursework that may assist them later in obtaining licensure in areas for which Catawba College does not have state approval (e.g, Business, Computer Science, Spanish, etc). No application for admission is necessary but a declaration of the Education Studies Minor is required. A cumulative GPA of 2.50 is recommended. Students pursuing the Educational Studies Minor may qualify for residency license positions with LEAs after graduation and will be equipped with much of the coursework needed for residency license. Students should be aware that the State of North Carolina requires a minimum, cumulative GPA of 2.7 on the undergraduate degree for residency licensure. Furthermore, Catawba College offers no assurances that these courses will be accepted by other institutions.

Read More


Programs through the School of Education prepare candidates for North Carolina licensure. Successful completion of a Teacher Education Program at Catawba College and North Carolina assessment requirements for licensure will lead to a North Carolina teaching license. Candidates who plan to seek licensure in another state must obtain more information by contacting the licensure agency in that respective state.

Reciprocity Information

Reciprocity applies to the extent that out-of-state education programs are equivalent to the standards and guidelines of North Carolina’s approved education programs. Reciprocity does not guarantee that all areas of licensure will transfer directly from one state to another.  Candidates must contact the Department of Public Instruction or Department of Education in the new state to find out how to apply for credentials there, as the laws and policies in other states can change anytime.

Map for NASDTEC Members: This map will help you find the states that have Interstate Agreement with North Carolina through the National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC).