Pathway to Teaching
Your Pathway to Teaching
The Martha Kirkland West Teaching Scholars:
- Receive $2500 in addition to academic scholarships awarded by Catawba with the exception of McCorkle Scholarships.
- Explore early field experiences beginning in the freshman year
- Experience regional travel opportunities
- View interesting cultural events
- Train in the integration of technology in the classroom
- Participate in leadership seminars and scholarly presentations
- Observe a variety of teaching environments
- Receive excellent support and guidance
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
West Scholars selection criteria includes academic factors such as SAT score (quantitative + critical reading scores) of 1170 RSAT/24 ACT and GPA 3.4), demonstrated leadership and community involvement, and a commitment to teaching. Conditional acceptance for 1070 RSAT/21ACT and GPA 3.4).
This program is accredited through the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).