Abernethy Physical Education Center
This building contains the Enoch A. and Dorothy H. Goodman School of Physical Education and Athletics and also provides the College with outstanding facilities for both intercollegiate and intramural athletic competition.
The School was established in 1986 and is named in honor of the Goodmans, alumni and benefactors of Catawba. Mr. Goodman, an emeritus member of the Board of Trustees, is a 1938 graduate, as was his late wife, the former Dorothy Hedrick.
Included in the Center is a gymnasium seating over 3,000 persons for intercollegiate basketball. It converts to three full-size basketball courts for intramural play. An indoor collegiate-size heated swimming pool, handball courts, martial arts facilities, physical conditioning and weightlifting rooms, classrooms, and Physical Education faculty offices also are located in the Center building.
The Center is named for the late Julius W. Abernethy, Sr. of Newton, N.C., one of Catawba's most generous benefactors, and former vice-chairman of the Board of Trustees. The gymnasium is named in honor of Mr. and Mrs. Enoch A. Goodman. The swimming pool is a gift of trustee Mrs. Allen S. Johnson, Jr. and the late Mr. Johnson of Salisbury. The Center's lobby is named in memory of Gordon A. Kirkland, who served the College in a variety of athletic posts from 1935-53. Other sections and special rooms of the Center are dedicated to or named for various individuals and are gifts to the College from these persons or from friends and firms supportive of the College and its athletic program.
Catawba College is fortunate in the variety and caliber of the athletic fields available for both intercollegiate and intramural competition. Shuford Stadium, a new facility, is named for the late Abel A. Shuford of Hickory, former trustee of the College. The stadium which seats 4,000, contains a press box, named in memory of James F. Hurley, Jr. of Salisbury, former chairman of the Salisbury Post, a coaches' box and an elevator. Kirkland Field, the playing surface inside the stadium, is named for former Coach Gordon Kirkland, Catawba's successful football, baseball and basketball coach during the late 1930s and 1940s. Kirkland Field was redone as part of the stadium construction project and now has its own irrigation system.
Frock Fields, a complex of fields containing areas for softball, soccer ompetition and practice, field hockey, lacrosse and football practice, is named for the late E.B. Frock of Hanover, PA, a 1933 graduate of Catawba and former trustee.
The Allen S. Johnson, Jr. Tennis Complex is a complex of six tennis courts of competition caliber located near the Frock Fields. The Center is named in memory of Allen S. Johnson, Jr. of Salisbury, an outstanding athlete at Duke University and long-time supporter of Catawba College. It was given in his memory by his wife, Mrs. Allen S. Johnson, Jr., a member of the Board of Trustees.
Newman Park is the baseball stadium and is named for the late Dr. H.H. Newman of Salisbury who was interested in and helped to promote a varied athletic program at the College, and served as athletic team doctor 1925-47.
Hayes Athletic Field House
The $3 million Mariam and Robert Hayes Athletic Field House is located on property adjacent to the Shuford Football Stadium.
Completed in 2002, it contains dressing rooms for men and women's soccer, lacrosse, field hockey, football, and women's softball, as well as meeting and classroom space, offices for coaches, a rehabilitation area and a strength training room.
Athletic Training Facilities
The outstanding facilities for Athletic Training include:
- Two athletic training rooms
- Classroom with state-of-the-art technology
- Exercise physiology lab
- Modality lab