Test Optional Admission Policy
Test Optional Admission
Incoming freshman with a 3.25 High School GPA or higher are eligible to apply for admission under the Test Optional program. Catawba faculty advisors do utilize test scores in conjunction with your high school coursework for placement in some freshmen courses. Students admitted via the Test Optional program will need to provide scores after they have been admitted and decide to enroll at Catawba. NOTE: Test scores will only be used for course placement and have no bearing on the admission decision or merit scholarship award for Test Optional applicants.
Test Optional Application Process:
Complete your online application for admission:
- Submit the following items directly to the Office of Admissions:
- Official high school transcript (a notarized English translation is required when records are in another language), a High School Equivalency Diploma OR a certified Adult High School Diploma;
- Co-Curricular Resume
- A 500-600 word essay* (about a page in length) on one of topics below:
- Catawba College seeks to embody the ideals of Scholarship (academic pursuits), Character (ethical behavior), Culture (exposure to artistic endeavors), and Service (campus and community outreach). Our campus community of students, faculty and staff share these core values. Please reflect on these four ideals and tell us which one (1) of these resonates most strongly with you and why. As a prospective member of the Catawba community, how do you hope to "live" your chosen ideal?
- If you were assured you would not fail, what endeavor would you attempt?
- Reflect on a time when you challenged a belief or idea. What prompted you to act? Would you make the same decision again knowing what you know now? Why or why not?
*The essay is required for test-optional applicants. We will accept a graded written paper in lieu of essay, if student prefers.
- Letter of Recommendation from core subject teacher or school counselor
- ZeeMee (optional) - Catawba has partnered with ZeeMee, a free service that helps students bring their application to life! We are committed to reviewing every applicant as a unique individual. Simply copy and paste your link into your Catawba application or submit via the Admission Portal. Sign up today at www.ZeeMee.com!
**To be considered for the full tuition (McCorkle Scholarship), you must submit your test scores.**