Unanue Scholars Program
The Unanue Scholars Program is named to honor the memory of distinguished alumna, Mary Ann Unanue ('81), who rose through the ranks of Goya Foods, Inc. to the position of Vice President before her death in 2009 at the age of 49. The program is intended to serve Latina students with a shared desire to learn and experience higher education.
In addition, scholars will be paired with Latina mentors from Catawba College who will meet regularly with students and offer advice on college life. This course will meet Mondays and Wednesdays from 4:30pm to 5:45pm starting on August 21, 2019 and running through December 4, 2019. Sometimes, class timings may extend later into the evening for special events (dinners, etc).
To be eligible, young Latina women must:
- Attend a public high school within Rowan County, North Carolina
- Will begin their junior year of high school in Fall 2019
- Have demonstrated above-average scholastic achievement
- Have interest in pursuing higher education
- Provide a copy of a high school transcript
- Submit a letter of recommendation from a school counselor or teacher
Such students are encouraged to apply below. The priority deadline to apply is March 15. The application will remain available until May 1 on a space available basis.
All tuition, fees, and books are covered. Students will be expected to provide their own transportation to and from class.
To submit a high school transcript, recommend a student, or to receive more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org.