Skip to main content

Sign into the Catawba College community portal:

Login to CatLink

Future Students

Apply online or check the status of your Admissions application:

Admission Portal

REMAIN AT CATAWBA  |  Take the Pledge  |  Ask a Question


    1. How long does it take to begin receiving benefits after they have been initiated?
      New applicants should expect to receive their first check 8–12 weeks from the time the enrollment certification is sent. You will be paid retroactively from the first day of class. Continuing students should receive checks more quickly, provided there have not been any changes to your program or changes that would affect your benefits.

    2. Am I still eligible to receive financial aid if I am receiving VA educational benefits? 
      Yes! It is a common misconception that students receiving educational benefits are not eligible for financial aid. This is simply not true. You are eligible to apply for financial aid as any other student would.

    3. How do I verify my monthly enrollment for educational benefits? 
      Everyone receiving MGIB-Active Duty (Chapter 30) benefits, as well as those in the Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606) and REAP (Chapter 1607), must verify their enrollment each month to receive payment for that month. Your enrollment can be verified on the last calendar day of the month by using the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) at or by calling the toll free Interactive Voice Response (IVR) telephone line at 1-877-823-2378.

    4. Are there any academic standards I must maintain to keep my VA educational benefits? 
      Students must adhere to the Academic Standards Policy of the College. Students will be terminated for VA purposes if academically suspended. Catawba College notifies the VA within thirty days of any change in status or failure to meet satisfactory progress.

    5. Do I have to attend full-time to receive my educational benefits? 
      No, but the amount of benefits you receive is directly proportional to the number of credits you take with the exception of chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill.

    6. How do I find out if I have any benefits left?
      Contact the Department of Veteran Affairs at 1-888-442-4551.

    7. Who do I contact if I have questions concerning my veteran benefit payments, such as direct deposit, payment amounts, etc.? 
      Contact the Department of Veteran Affairs at 1-888-GIBILL (1-888-442-4551) or visit and go to 1) Questions and Answers or 2) Wave Account (if you have not set one up, be sure to do so).

    8. Do I have to pay tuition and fees? 
      Yes! With the exception of chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill®, students are responsible for their own tuition and fees. VA benefits are a monthly allotment that gets paid via check or direct deposit.

    9. I am the spouse of an active duty service member. Am I entitled to VA benefits? 
      Yes, possibly. Check the MyCAA program at