Academy for Teaching Holds Celebration for Senior Teaching Scholars
April 20, 2017
The West Teaching Scholars gathered in the Ketner Hall Atrium on Wednesday, April 19, 2017 for the annual West Scholar Senior Celebration.
Senior West Scholars were recognized and were given a crystal apple with the West Scholar logo engraved on the base for their future classrooms. Special guests included College President Brien Lewis, along with faculty and staff from the Teacher Education Department. The West Teaching Scholars are named in honor of Dr. Martha West, a Catawba College alumna, College trustee and former Teacher Education faculty member.
The 2017 Senior Cohort will graduate the following students:
- Anna Fields with a double major in Elementary and Special Education
- Caleb Garner with a major in Theatre Education
- Lauren Gaskill with a major in English and a minor in Secondary Education
- Joan Hedrick with a major in Music Education
- Dominique Karriker with a major in Math and a minor in Secondary Education
- Carrie Loman with a major in Elementary Education
- Sara Sellers with a major in English and a minor in Secondary Education
- Madison Sides with a major in English and a minor in Secondary Education
- Nathan Wyatt with a double major in Elementary and Special Education
Dr. Rhonda Truitt, former director of the Academy of Teaching, was recognized and congratulated by the West Scholars on her upcoming and well deserved retirement. Dr. Truitt has been a valued member of the Teacher Education Department for eleven years.