Catawba College Cancels On Site Classes with Students to Work Remotely
March 13, 2020
Catawba College announced today that it is cancelling classes next week, with plans to hold classes remotely or by other delivery methods from March 23-April 12.
Brien Lewis, President, in a statement to the Catawba community said: "The Coronavirus situation has been a very fast-moving set of circumstances.
The coming days and weeks will be critical for our local community, the nation and the world as efforts are made to contain and mitigate the spread of the virus." He noted that while there are no cases of COVID-19 on campus, the college is acting out of an abundance of caution.
Residential students are encouraged to return to their permanent residences, if possible, but they may remain on campus during the four-week period. Residential students are asked, if they can, to leave campus by no later than noon on Wednesday, March 18.
The College campus and offices will remain open during this time, except for student workers.
Lewis' announcement includes the following:
- Cancellation of classes next week and implementation of an Academic Continuity Plan to transition to remote or other delivery methods.
- Classes to be delivered remotely from Monday, March 23, until April 12.
- All students are expected to check their Catawba email on Friday, March 20, for details from their professors on their remote learning plans.
- Registration for the summer term and fall semester will proceed as scheduled, using CatLink. If students have not received advising, they should make arrangements with their advisors to meet before leaving campus.
- Plans are to resume classes on campus on April 13. However, the situation will be continually evaluated with at least a one-week notice to the College community if a change is needed.
The Dean of Students' Office is providing guidance for each individual student during the transition period. The Office of Housing and Residence Life is communicating with residential students.
Students have been asked to take belongings that they will need until at least April 12, including all materials that they need to complete their coursework.