College Community Gathers for Campus Tree Lighting
November 12, 2008
The campus's annual Tree Lighting, planned by Catawba College's Student Government Association, the Music Department and the President's Office, took place Monday, November 24, on the interior campus, in front of the Cannon Student Center.
This beloved holiday event kicked off at 4 p.m. with ice skating and fire pits for roasting S'mores and hot dogs. There was also hot chocolate, hot cider, snow cream, cookies, and freshly popped popcorn. Tables were also set up for ornament making.
At 5:30 p.m., Catawba College singers and instrumental musicians, under the direction of Music Professors Paul Oakley and Steve Etters, respectively, accompanied those gathered during a sing-along of Christmas carols. Santa also made an appearance at the event. The "Twelve Days of Christmas" was performed and included:;
- A Pastor in a Pear Tree - The Right Reverend Kenneth Clapp ;
- Turtle Doves - Nate and Kelli ;
- French Hens - Oliver, Jean and Linda ;
- Calling Birds - Festival Four - Kris, Matt, Dan and Jake ;
- Golden Rings - Jane, Kim, Carol, Carol2, Nancy ;
- Geese Laying - Cavalier, Sinnott and "fabulous faculty" ;
- Swans Swimming - Delphinians ;
- Maids Milking - Choir Members ;
- Ladies Dancing - Alpha Psi Omega ;
- Lords Leaping - Football Team "Volunteers" ;
- Pipers Piping - Teacher Education Students ;
- Drummers drumming - Band members
The event concluded with a Carol-oke Contest in the Leonard Lounge of the Cannon Student Center, and prizes were awarded for the best singers.