Marvin Ridge High's Band is Grand Champion of Catawba Pride Marching Band Classic
October 17, 2012
Marvin Ridge High School of Charlotte was the winner of the Catawba Pride Marching Band Classic cup at the competition held at Catawba College on Saturday, Oct. 13 in Shuford Stadium. The event drew high school marching bands from surrounding counties and included an exhibition from the Catawba Pride Marching Band, under the direction of Mr. Jay Meachum.
Piedmont High School of Monroe was second in the overall competition. Other results from finals competition for the day included Independence High School of Charlotte, third place; Sun Valley High School of Monroe, fourth place; Southwest Guilford High School of Greensboro, fifth place; William Hough High School of Charlotte, sixth place; and Davie High School of Mocksville, seventh place.
Preliminary Class winners were:;
- 1st Place in Class 1A - Independence HS ;
- 1st Place in Class 2A – William Hough HS ;
- 1st Place in Class 3A – Marvin Ridge HS ;
- 1st Place in Class 4A – Davie HS ;
- 1st Place in Class 5A - Piedmont HS
This year, the Catawba Pride Marching Band Classic provided a "review" room that allowed each band to sit in a climate-controlled and comfortable viewing room directly after performing their field show. Band members and their leadership watched video of their performance on a large video screen and received immediate feedback from their directors, staff and student leaders, as well as from Dr. Steve Etters, director of bands at Catawba College.
"We're the only contest in the U.S. that offers such an opportunity to high school bands on the day of their competition. It proved to be huge success. The video review was exceptionally helpful to those bands that went on to perform a second time in the ‘finals' program," Etters said.
Other highlights from the day included:;
- Pine Lake Preparatory receiving second place honors in Class 1A for the captions of music, general effect percussion and color guard; ;
- North Stanly HS placing second in drum major and marching within a tough 1A division; ;
- William Hough HS receiving 1st place caption awards for marching and general effect; ;
- Southwest Guilford HS winning first place honors for Class 2A in the caption of percussion and drum major; ;
- Sun Valley HS received 1st place caption awards in music and color guard for Class 2A; ;
- A.L. Brown HS receive a 1st place caption award in percussion for Class 3A