Results of Lord Salisbury Classic Marching Band Contest
October 7, 2010
The fifth annual Lord Salisbury Classic Marching Band Contest at Catawba College enjoyed a wonderful day of great weather on Saturday, Oct. 2, and even better music and marching performances by 10 area high school marching bands. Participating bands were East Montgomery, Independence, William Hough, Salisbury, North Rowan, North Stanly, Central Cabarrus, Piedmont, Jay M. Robinson, and Porter Ridge.
Dr. Stephen Etters, Catawba's Director of Bands and Music Education was thrilled to see over 1,500 friends and family members present at Shuford Stadium for this day (and evening) long event. He was also proud to see all of his band students, as well as other college organizations, working so hard to make this one the most successful LSCEvents to date.
The day was highlighted by an exhibition performance of the Catawba Pride Band (soon to be the PRIDE Marching Band in Fall 2011), under the direction of Mr. Jay Meachum.
Band and Individual awards were given throughout the day, to include:
- 1st Place in Class 1A - Independence HS (Charlotte) ;
- 1st Place in Class 2A - North Rowan HS (Spencer) ;
- 1st Place in Class 3A - Jay M. Robinson HS (Concord) ;
- 1st Place in Class 4A - Porter Ridge HS (Monroe)
A new element of award was added to the day that recognized prospective Catawba College students who are interested in participating in the Catawba Pride Marching Band in 2011. These individuals were auditioned and interviewed for selection to receive scholarship awards sponsored by support of the Catawba College Admissions Office.
The winners and amounts of their scholarships awarded are as follows:;
- Elijah "EJ" Richardson - $2500 (North Stanly HS - Percussion) ;
- Austin Snider - $2000 (North Rowan HS - Tuba) ;
- Kailyn Cowger - $2000 (Salisbury HS - Percussion) ;
- Christopher "CJ" Mowery - $1500 (North Rowan HS - Mellophone) ;
- Seth Gentry - $1500 (Salisbury HS - Trumpet) ;
- Victor Fairs - $1500 (Salisbury HS - Percussion)
All bands also competed to return for an evening "Finals" performance by receiving the top 50% of total scores and/or 1st in Class honors. These bands, in order of final ranking after the second performance were: Independence (#6), Central Cabarrus (#5), North Rowan (#4), Porter Ridge (#3), Piedmont (#2), and Jay M. Robinson (#1). As Jay M. Robinson HS was designated the #1 seed for the day, they were presented with the coveted Lord Salisbury Cup (Grand Champion Award). This is the second year that they have received this award and look forward to returning next year for another chance for victory.