Events & Activities
- Don’t be afraid to join activities around campus even if it’s not related to your major.
- Performance hour on Wednesdays is a nice way to support and connect with classmates.
- If your schedule allows, stay for an evening game, concert, play, or event. Or, make plans with a classmate or friend to come to campus for a game or to participate in a college outing or volunteer service one day on a weekend.
The Lilly Center Coffeehouse is a great place to study or relax.
- Lockers are available
- Water is $0.50 (a lifesaver!)
- Coffee, tea, and cookies are free
- Microwave (tip: there is also one in the Lounge)
The Library is another great place to study or relax.
- Computers are available during library hours
- Copier/printer/scanner is available for your use, along with help using it.
- Popular new titles in fiction and nonfiction as well as graphic novels are great for downtime
- Find a mentor (either within or outside your major)/build relationships with your professors
- Speak in class, even if no one else is (break that social norm)
- Student success coaching and counseling is always available!
- Know alternate routes to get to campus in case there are traffic problems
- Rely on Google Maps or a similar app to plan your route to campus (see above tip)
For Your Car:
- Always keep an umbrella in your car.
- A sun visor for your car windshield is a great way to keep your car at a lower temperature while parked.
- Other items to keep in your car: hairbrush, phone charger, and snacks. A jacket or sweater, pen, pencil and post-it notes can be handy to have, too.
Weather and/or Cancellations:
- Sign up for CatawbAlerts to get notified of weather, closings, and more. A text or call goes straight to your cellphone for the fastest notification.
- Before leaving home, check your Catawba email and Blackboard announcements in case classes are cancelled.
- Email your professors if there is bad weather. Most will understand and would rather you stay at home and be safe rather than risk your safety.